These rules were updated in February 2020 and apply for students accepted autumn 2016 or later.
For a Master's degree of Science in physics you have to fulfill the following general requirements:
- A total of 120 ECTS
- A minimum of 90 ECTS of advanced courses
- A minimum of 90 ECTS of physics
- A minimum of 30 ECTS of advanced level diploma work in physics
Courses that count as physics courses are those whose course codes start with FYS, FYT, AST or MAX.
Advanced courses have a course code whose fourth letter comes after L in the alphabet (e.g. FYSN14 and FYST34 are advanced courses, while FYSA01 is not).
In addition to these general requirements, there are specific course requirements. In all cases, the requirement specify specific courses "or equivalent", meaning that courses that impart the same knowledge and skills will also be accepted. The equivalence of courses will be determined by the course responsible and the programme coordinator.
If you have courses from another university and want to use them in your degree, contact your programme coordinator or study advisor.
Degree requirements from autumn 2020
For students who began their studies in the autumn of 2020 or later, the degree requirements depend on which specialization the student is enrolled in. These requirements can be found on the 'Courses' page for the specific programme:
- General physics
- Biological physics and computational biology
- Materials science
- Particle physics
- Synchrotron radiation based science
- Theoretical physics
Degree requirements before autumn 2020
For students who began their studies prior to the autumn of 2020, the same requirements apply to all specializations:
- FYSN11, Experiments in Research and Society, 7.5 hp
or FYSN21 Quantum Mechanics in Research and Society, 7.5 hp
- a selection of three of the following courses
- FYSN23, Electromagnetism, 7.5 hp
- FYSN15 Experimental Tools, 7.5 hp
- FYSN17 Quantum Mechanics, 7.5 hp
- FYST43 Optics and Optical Design, 7.5 hp
- FYTN15 Statistical Mechanics, 7.5 hp
- FYTN03 Computational Physics, 7.5 hp
If you were accepted to the program with an non-Physics Bachelor's degree, contact the study advisor for specific requirements.